Horse Park Drive Upgrades
The ACT Government has invested $22.5 million to upgrade Horse Park Drive between its intersections with Anthony Rolfe Avenue and Well Station Drive. This upgrade will improve safety and traffic flow and provide better access to nearby suburbs, including Harrison, Gungahlin and the new suburb of Throsby. The work will occur in two stages.
Construction began in October 2015 and includes:
- a new road into the new Throsby estate on Anthony Rolfe Avenue
- two through lanes in each direction on Horse Park Drive
- right-turn lanes on Horse Park Drive into Throsby and Harrison
- signalised pedestrian crossings; and
- on-road cycling lanes and a new shared-use path on the Throsby side of Horse Park Drive.
Construction began in April 2015 and is expected to finish by mid-2017. The work will provide:
- two through lanes in each direction on Horse Park Drive between its intersections with Anthony Rolfe Avenue and Well Station Drive
- an upgrade to Mapleton Avenue and Well Station Drive intersections, including improved pedestrian facilities
- a new shared-use path on the Throsby side of Horse Park Drive between Anthony Rolfe Avenue and Well Station Road
- a pedestrian and cycle underpass linking Throsby with Harrison
- on-road cycle lanes.
Construction work will be managed to minimise impacts on motorists and local residents, though drivers and cyclists may experience some delays. We will continue to keep motorists, local residents and businesses updated on the project and its progress via this website, social media, on-site signs and through the media.
The Horse Park Drive upgrade coincides with the work on Throsby, which started in October 2015, and other projects in Gungahlin (including extensions of The Valley Avenue and Manning Clark Crescent), and upgrades to intersections on the Barton Highway, Gundaroo Drive and William Slim Drive.
For more information about the Throsby Residential Estate, please visit the Land Development Agency website.
Duplication to the Federal Highway and Mulligans Flat Road
In the 2015/16 ACT Budget the Government allocated $1 million to design the duplication of Horse Park Drive from the Federal Highway to Well Station Drive and from Anthony Rolfe Avenue to Mulligans Flat Road. Design of the duplication of the remaining sections of Horse Park Drive is being progressed to ease congestion for residents.
Following this design work, the ACT Government will make funding decisions about the next stages of the Horse Park Drive duplication as part of the capital works budget processes.
- Map illustrating Anthony Rolfe intersection
- Map illustrating three intersections along Horse Park Drive
- Letter to residents notified 12 October 2015
- Letter to residents notified 22 January 2016
- Letter to residents notified 17 February 2016
If you would like to be kept up to date on Gungahlin roads projects, email firstname.lastname@example.org