DICKSON INTERSECTIONS UPGRADE
Night work will occur during this project. Residents will be notified in advance by letter box drop and online. If you would like to be kept up to date on this project via email, send your details to EDCommunity@act.gov.au
Night work will reduce traffic delays and increase pedestrian safety during construction.
A map of the road closure can be found here.
Cord Civil's Project Manager will be contactable on 0407 219 326 during the night work.
As part of the redevelopment and revitalisation of Dickson, the 2014/15 ACT Government Budget allocated $3.38 million to upgrade several intersections in the Dickson Group Centre.
Work on three of the intersections finished in November 2015 and included:
- Installation of traffic lights at the Antill Street/Badham Street intersection, including construction of a right-turn lane from Antill Street into Badham Street and the incorporation of on-road cycle lanes on Antill Street (see map reference A on aerial map below)
- Upgrade of the Antill Street/Cowper Street intersection including road resurfacing and the incorporation of on-road cycle lanes on Antill Street (see map reference B on aerial map below)
- Improvements to the pedestrian facilities at Cowper Street/Dickson shops access road intersection involving construction of a pedestrian refuge for safer crossings (see map reference C on aerial map below).
Cowper Street and Dickson Place Intersection
The final stage of the project is the upgrade of the Cowper Street and Dickson Place intersection.
A map of this intersection is available here.
Improving safety and usability for pedestrians, cyclists and cars, the work will include:
- widening Dickson Place at the intersection
- provision of separate left and right turn lanes from Dickson Place onto Cowper Street
- improving the footpath and trunk bicycle path within the intersection
- retaining on-street parking bays outside The Garden florist.
There will be short-term diversions of cyclists and pedestrians around the works during construction.
Please note that businesses in the area will be operating as usual.
Work will take approximately three months. During this time, it may be necessary to occasionally close a lane for short periods on Dickson Place; however, closures will be kept to a minimum and will not occur during peak times.
The work has been timed to coincide with the winter closure of the Dickson Pool to minimise disruption to vehicle and pedestrian movements in the area.
The upgrade will improve safety and access for vehicles, buses and delivery trucks at the intersection and for pedestrians and cyclists at the Sullivan's Creek community path crossing on Cowper Street.
- Aerial map showing location of intersections to be upgraded
- Letter about Dickson intersections upgrade project – 28 May 2015
- Letter about temporary service road closure – 28 August 2015
- Letter about evening works – 14 September 2015
- Letter to Residents about Resealing - October 2015
- View map of road surfacing work on Badham Street and Antill Street
- Letter to residents about night work 20 and 21 June 2016
For more information, email us at EDCommunity@act.gov.au