Former Belconnen Water Police Site (Block 29 Section 149)
The former Belconnen Water Police Site (Block 29 Section 149), located on Evelyn Parker Place beside Lake Ginninderra, is scheduled for sale in the 2016/17 to 2019/20 Indicative Land Release Program (formally named as Block 1, Section 149).
The site will be sold under the existing Territory Plan CZ6: Leisure and Accommodation zoning which includes a two-storey height limit. The sale will exclude the existing mature trees south of Evelyn Parker Place, the retaining wall around the lake edge and the jetty, which will remain as Territory Land and be publicly accessible. Any future development will also be required to provide continuous public access around the lake edge.
The Land Development Agency has discontinued the Expression of Interest (EOI) process for the former Belconnen water police facility after receiving no submissions that complied with the requirements of the EOI. A number of different options for selling the site are now being considered by the LDA, with a final decision expected by mid-2017.
Demolition is currently underway and will finish by the end of May 2017.
The LDA project team is committed to ensuring community members are kept informed of the sales process for this site and involved where possible. Community engagement and communications to date has been:
- Letter to Beissel Street residents and businesses about the site sale and demolition in November 2016
- Meeting with Sea Scouts, Belconnen Community Council (BCC) and Belconnen Arts Centre (BAC) representatives in November 2016 to discuss site objectives and evaluation criteria. The BCC and BAC also developed an 'Emu Bank' vision document which is included as an appendix in the EOI.
- LDA presentation to the BCC meeting on 21 June 2016.
- Meeting with Sea Scouts and BCC representatives in May 2016 to discuss potential issues in the site's redevelopment.
- Letter to Beissel Street residents and businesses in May 2016 to inform of the demolition DA
For further information or to join an email list for project updates please email EDcommunity@act.gov.au