Former Belconnen Water Police Site (Block 29 Section 149)
The former Belconnen Water Police Site (Block 29 Section 149), located on Evelyn Parker Place beside Lake Ginninderra, is scheduled for sale in the 2016/17 Land Release Program (formally named as Block 1, Section 149).
The site will be sold under the existing Territory Plan CZ6: Leisure and Accommodation zoning which includes a two-storey height limit. The sale will exclude the existing mature trees south of Evelyn Parker Place, the retaining wall around the lake edge and the jetty, which will remain as Territory Land and be publicly accessible. Any future development will also be required to provide continuous public access around the lake edge.
The Land Development Agency will sell the site through a two-stage process. The first stage is an Expression of Interest process. Proponents will be assessed against a number of criteria including:
- how the development will contribute to achieving the vision of a ‘Foreshore Precinct’ outlined in the Belconnen Town Centre Master Plan;
- how the building will respond positively to the Lake Ginninderra Foreshore and promote activity in adjacent public open space;
- how the impact of noise, light, traffic and waste collection from the development on neighbouring businesses, residences and community groups will be minimized; and
- how car parking generated by intended uses on the site will be accommodated consistent with the requirements under the Territory Plan.
The EOI is now open and will close on 16 February 2016. After the EOI, short-listed proponents will be invited to submit a tender application. The tender process is designed to allow proponents to further develop their concept for the site.
For a full copy of the EOI please contact the sales agents from JLL Michael Heather on 6274 0761 or Andrew Balzanelli on 6274 9818.
|Expression of Interest Opens||Monday 12 December 2016|
|Last day for proponents to ask clarification questions||Thursday 2 February 2017|
|EOI closes||2pm, Thursday 16 February 2016|
|Evaluation of EOIs||Mid-February 2017|
|Proponents notified of EOI outcome||Early March 2017|
|Request for Tender (RFT) released||Late March 2017|
|Proponents to meet with Environment and Planning |
Directorate to discuss proposal
|Late March 2017|
|RFT Closes||Mid-May 2017|
|Evaluation of RFT Proposals||Mid-May 2017|
|Tender awarded||Late May 2017|
|Settlement of Site||Late June 2017|
Following settlement whoever buys the block will then be required to submit a Development Application (DA) to the Planning and Land Authority. The normal DA statutory consultation process will still apply. Final approval of the DA will sit with the Planning and Land Authority, not the LDA.
Demolition is expected to start in February 2017 and be completed in May 2017. Seven car spaces along Evelyn Parker Place will be used by the contractor during demolition. Public access to the jetty will also be temporarily unavailable. Please be aware there is bonded asbestos containing material onsite that will be removed by a qualified environmental consultant. Information about disposal of asbestos can be found at www.asbestos.act.gov.au
The LDA project team is committed to ensuring community members are kept informed of the sales process for this site and involved where possible. Community engagement and communications to date has been:
- Letter to Beissel Street residents and businesses about the site sale and demolition in November 2016
- Meeting with Sea Scouts, Belconnen Community Council (BCC) and Belconnen Arts Centre (BAC) representatives in November 2016 to discuss site objectives and evaluation criteria. The BCC and BAC also developed an 'Emu Bank' vision document which is included as an appendix in the EOI.
- LDA presentation to the BCC meeting on 21 June 2016.
- Meeting with Sea Scouts and BCC representatives in May 2016 to discuss potential issues in the site's redevelopment.
- Letter to Beissel Street residents and businesses in May 2016 to inform of the demolition DA
The community engagement approach after the EOI is still being considered and will depend on the number and nature of EOIs received.
For further information or to join an email list for project updates please email EDcommunity@act.gov.au