Each year the ACT Government prepares the four-year Indicative Land Release Program setting out the Government's intended Program of residential, mixed use, commercial, industrial and community and non-urban land releases. The Program is indicative and is therefore subject to change as market conditions alter, or as Government priorities are adjusted.
Economic Development within the Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate is responsible for preparing the Program in conjunction with other ACT Government Agencies.
Following the identification and programming the land for release, the Land Development Agency develop and sell the land on behalf of the ACT Government.
Objectives of the Indicative Land Release Program
The ACT Government plans for the supply and release of land, taking account a number of factors including forecast population changes, household changes, demand for land and the capacity to cost effectively deliver key infrastructure and services.
The Indicative Land Release Program enables the Government to deliver on its economic, planning and urban renewal strategies for the Territory.
Land release remains an important source of revenue for the Territory, contributing to financial, social and environmental objectives by seeking to:
- enable urban renewal and activate key gateways to the city and its commercial centres;
- facilitate housing diversity and the provision of affordable housing choices;
- meet the demand for land in the Territory to stimulate economic activity in the residential, commercial/ mixed use, industrial and community sectors;
- establish an appropriate inventory of serviced land;
- support the operation of a competitive land development and construction market; and
- achieve satisfactory returns from the sale of unleased Territory land.
Indicative Land Release Program
The Indicative Land Release Program for 2016-17 to 2019-20 was released on 7 June 2016 (along with the ACT Government’s Annual Budget).
The links below provide a detailed overview of the current program as well as individual maps by year.
- ACT Indicative Land Release Program 2016–17 to 2019–20 ( 2.5 MB) HTML version
- 2016-17 Indicative Land Release Program and Map
- 2017-18 Indicative Land Release Program and Map
- 2018-19 Indicative Land Release Program and Map
- 2019-20 Indicative Land Release Program and Map
Economic Trends (including building activity)
Economic indicators including land and building activity in the ACT:
Please contact us if you require information on the ACT Government Indicative Land Release Program.